Thursday, January 7, 2010

Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

This series was a lot of fun! The only thing I was disappointed was that some books are told by one character and some of the others are told by others.I'm not a big fan of books that change POV it usually turns me off a series. The books told by Elena Michaels are AWESOME. I really like her as a character. I'm not really sure what it is about her that I like so much because all the characters are strong women. Armstrong is very good at highlighting the strengths of some of the "weaker" characters. For instance Elena is a werewolf, the only female, and she is strong both in mind and body. She is very well educated and knows how to command attention. On another hand, Jaime is a necromancer and other than being able to talk to and see the dead she has no other power. She's not physically strong but she is of strong mind (rare for a necromancer according to Armstrong). None of these books need to be read in order. There are few references to the other books but Armstrong does a pretty good job of summarizing whatever she references. This also gets my recommendation. The only ones I don't HIGHLY recommend are Haunted (it was Eh), Personal Demon and Living with the Dead (I didn't care for Hope Adams)

No comments: